Water Care Pool Safety

Pool Safety

Keeping your pool safe for those who swim in it should always be a prime concern. Whether it’s keeping chemicals out of harms way or supervizing swimming sessions, here are some essential do’s and dont’s :

DO :
  • Read the safety instructions on each chemical pack
  • Store all chemicals safely in a cool and dark place in the original and sealed containers, out of reach of children
  • Wear protective clothing when handling chemicals
  • Add chemicals to the water, not vice versa and follow pack instructions to the letter
  • Dispose of any spillages as directed on the label – but don’t use a vacuum cleaner
Take urgent action if chemicals come in contact with skin. Flush liberally with clean, fresh water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation occurs or chemicals are swallowed or come into contact with eyes, call a doctor immediately
  • Keep chemicals away from lawns, shrubs or trees
  • Teach water safety to all swimmers, especially children
  • Supervize all swimming in the pool and learn to swim and life-save
  • Tell guests the pool depth (or have it clearly marked) before they dive
  • Keep safety aids around the pool
  • Take care with pets, especially when using a pool cover
  • Fence in or fit a lockable gate to outdoor pools. Where this is not possible, use a firmly anchored, suspended pool cover
  • Remove steps from above ground pools after swimming
  • Arrange insurance cover for the pool and its use
  • Mix chemicals. Always follow pack instructions
  • Let chemicals become contaminated with rubbish such as wood shavings, paper or cotton. The strong oxidising power of Chlorine donors in particular makes this hazardous
  • Use glass objects around the pool
  • Inhale or splash chemical liquids & avoid handling tablets or granules with wet hands
  • Smoke near pool chemicals
  • Swim immediately after a meal or when feeling tired or unwell
  • Discharge pool water containing chemicals into water courses, septic tanks or streams, but only into a foul sewer. Where this is not possible, consult your water supply company